RESOURCES FOR PAPER 6 - LIZ LOCHHEAD POEMS:
IMPORTANT! AICE DIPLOMA APPLICATIONS ARE DUE TODAY, BEFORE SCHOOL ENDS!!
CLICK HERE TO PRINT AND COMPLETE THE APPLICATION. YOU MUST TURN IT INTO MR. ESPINOSA BEFORE THE SCHOOL DAY ENDS! :o)
RESEARCH PAPER OUTLINE HELP:
PERIODS 1 & 3: GO TO THE GLOBAL PAGE FOR YOUR HW!
PERIODS 1 & 3, YOU NEED TO PICK YOUR NOVEL!
1st and 3rd due 1/22:
CLICK HERE to access the logical fallacies presentation. You will finish taking notes on the slides we did not get to finish (we left off on Slippery Slope in first). BE READY FOR A POP QUIZ on Thursday! HUGS!
You have an annotated bibliography due for your school-wide UNLOCK-YOUR-POWER-THROUGH-RESEARCH research paper. This is basically a way to organize the six sources you have accumulated and annotated...and explain why this source is valuable to your research (whether it's to support your stance or to produce a counter claim) and how you will use each source in your paper. I am attaching a form to use for creating an annotated bibliography (CLICK HERE FOR IT).
Make sure your references are in MLA format. There are sites you can use that will help, such as those listed below this post. Follow the format in the handout. It's basic...and will help you when you sit down to write your outline next week. You will submit this via turnitin.com. I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT THINK EVEN THINK ABOUT (OR CONTINUE) PLAGIARIZING! This is due tonight by 11p.m.
For tomorrow, bring in whatever technological devices you will need to work on your environmental public service adverts.
Mogo's Lit Students:
- Your paper OR your vision board is due Tuesday, whichever you chose to do second.
Here are the MLA resource links we discussed this morning: PurdueOwl and EasyBib
- Please bring the $6 for your books; they are supposed to be delivered this afternoon.
- Have a restful, safe weekend! :o*
PERIODS 1 & 3 FOR 1/6/15:
Sorry I am not there today. I was so looking forward to seeing your adorable faces!
Here is what you will be doing:
1. Watch CNN Student News and take notes. You will NOT turn these notes into the sub; rather, you will add to them tomorrow, as you will need to watch tomorrow's edition on your own and add to those notes. It is very likely you will have a quiz on CNN Student News for all three days (today, tomorrow, and Thursday) on Thursday.
2. You will need your phones to access the Flipboard article for this activity. Use CRAVEN to THOROUGHLY evaluate “What If the World Can’t Cut Its Carbon Emissions?” You will tell whether this article has high or low credibility then use RAVEN to explain why/support your choice.
3. You will then do a little investigating to see what causes carbon emissions and how carbon emissions affect climate change. You will use these notes later on to create an ad campaign (or public service announcement) about the choices we make and the effects they have on our environment.
4. Your EC is due on turnitin.com by 9 p.m. tonight (it should have been submitted last night, but I was not feeling so hot…which is why I am not there today). Do not turn in so-so work! I want a near-perfect submission. Be sure to include your word count, citations, etc. Follow the Paper 2 handout I gave you before break.
I MISS YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH! See you on Thursday! Bring in your laptops or tablets!
1st & 3rd Period HW
1. Come up with a GLOBAL topic that you're passionate and/or curious about AND would like to explore further. Click on this video link for an interesting perspective on America's global impact. It's VERY compelling and may spark something in you to investigate. (It's a short clip from Newsroom, a program on HBO, and contains a few curse words. Sorry.) What McAvoy shares in the clip relates to global disease/medicine, technology, science, ethics, education, the environment, etc. Surely, you can find an outlet there...even if your research topic is to validate or disconfirm something he states, that's cool! Just remember to relate it to the global community, and be sure it's researchable and debatable. (Oh, and it cannot be the same issue as what you will do in Component 3 - the team project.)
2. Find three articles that relate to your topic. They can be documents, articles, studies, speeches, essays, presentations, etc. Do not have all three from ONE magazine or journal. Your articles should vary in their approach. Remember, your PLESS or SPECS (Science/technology, Politics/history, Economics/Ethics/Environment, Culture, Social/media). Your articles should reflect the various perspectives pertaining to the topic.
3. Annotate your three articles using CRAVEN and rhetoric. Click HERE for the PPT from today (since we didn't finish in 3rd period). I WILL BE CHECKING FOR ANNOTATIONS!
Bring in these items on Friday! We will work with them...while trying to have a little fun!
DON'T FORGET YOUR TOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring in an unwrapped, fun, inexpensive ($ Store is fine) TOY!
2nd Period Homework-due Tuesday, 12/16:
Posted Friday, December 12, 2014 @ 8:23 a.m.
You must work on the gender paper this weekend. I want to see your STANCE, THESIS STATEMENT, and ONE AMAZING body paragraph in which you identify the components as follows:
- Thesis statement: box it
- Stance: underline it
- Point (topic sentence): highlight in yellow
- Evidence (quotes/paraphrasing): highlight in pink
- Elaboration (this is YOU): highlight in blue
- Counterclaim (prove you have the ability to see): highlight in orange
- Link (bring it back to your point and argument): highlight in green
- Transitions: circle them
Check out Purdue Owl; it may help with organization and writing: Thesis Statements and Organizing your Argument.
Then, submit it on turnitin.com by Sunday evening. :o)
Reminder: you must know your social security number
for Mrs. Abesada's Bright Futures sign-up presentation tomorrow. :o)
PERIODS 1 & 3:
For those of you who were absent on Friday, go to Nearpod and review our lesson and the assignment. Here is the session code: CQRHW Take the ecological footprint quiz that's in the Nearpod presentation. Be sure to take a screen shot of your quiz results. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO THE FOUR ASSIGNMENTS AT THE VERY END. Ignore those. :)
Whether you were in class today or not, your job is to take TWO OTHER ecological footprint quizzes then average all three (remember, you took one in the Nearpod). Your average will be the number of earths we would consume if we all lived like you do. Bring this information to class on Tuesday! :) Take screen shots of each quiz, please.
MoGo's 2nd period:
Four annotated sources are due Tuesday, 12/2, and another four annotated sources along with your thesis and title are due Thursday, 12/4. Make sure to come to class prepared both days.
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2014 @ 8:34 p.m.
PERIODS 1 & 3:
If you received a 6/6 on your annotations, you have off this weekend (you just have to sign up for Edmodo). If you did not do your annotations at all, you will find, print, and annotate (not just highlight) six articles that will buttress the argument of your research topic. If you earned 1-5 points, you are going to revisit, revise, and repair what you did not do for your six articles. This is basically a second chance for you guys! Understand that if you fail to do it this second time, you will have another zero in the grade book.
Global Perspectives is going to entail a lot of this kind of research, so you need to get used to it. If not, let's bring on the literature! Either choice is going to be challenging, so let's make it happen! YOU CAN DO THIS!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU ALL!
MoGo's 2nd Period:
EMAIL YOUR TEACHER:
Past Paper 4's:
Past paper 3's:
Documentary on Nigerian-Biafran War
History.com - Nigerian Civil War
South African History Online
Images of the Nigerian-Biafran War